spicy fried tofu
One of the most common questions I get as a vegan is: “How do you cook tofu + make it taste good?”
While there are a million ways to cook tofu, I thought I’d share one of my favourite recipes! Seriously, this makes an appearance in our house on a weekly basis.
This fried tofu recipe is extremely versatile, you can mix and match seasonings to make tofu fit into whatever kind of dish you are preparing. You can make this recipe in under 15 minutes to add some extra vegan protein into your meals!
Yield: 1-2 servings
- 1/4 block extra-firm tofu, sliced into triangles
- 1 tsp oil (we like to use sesame oil)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sambal oelek chili paste* (or sriracha hot sauce)
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Place tofu onto pan, fry for 5 minutes, then flip pieces. Fry another 5 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Add rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sambal oelek directly into pan. Toss tofu to evenly coat with seasoning. Fry tofu for another 2-3 minutes until all sauce has been absorbed.
- Enjoy alone as a tasty snack or on top of your favourite rice/noodle dish!
Store in fridge in airtight container for up to 7 days.
* sambal oelek is the chunky version of sriracha hot sauce, usually located in the asian food section of the grocery store