There aren’t many options for a vegan when the craving for a milkshake hits, especially CHOCOLATE. This is my attempt to even the playing field with a rich shake that makes for a simple breakfast.
The flax seeds, cashews, and peanut butter in this shake provide plenty of healthy omega-3 fats and add a creamy texture without making the shake taste too nutty. For the best taste, make sure that the bananas are ripe (with plenty of dark brown spots) before freezing.
Yields: 2 large shakes (500mL each) or 4 small shakes (250 mL each)
- 3 large frozen bananas, roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 4 tbsp cashews
- 2 tbsp flax seeds, ground
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 4 ice cubes
1. In a high-speed blender, combine all ingredients and blend on high until super smooth.
2. Enjoy! (with a thick straw)
Cashews can be soaked in warm water for 30 minutes prior for easier blending.
I find it easier to grind flaxseeds in a coffee grinder prior to blending, to help make this shake even smoother.
Nutrition facts from: CRON-O-Meter