Simple and rich muffins that come together in 30 minutes or less. Although the title of this recipe makes it sound like these muffins will have a super-strong coffee taste, it is more of an undertone to the dark chocolate.
This recipe calls for unsweetened baker’s chocolate, this is chocolate in its rawest form, with no sugar or other ingredients added, unsweetened chocolate is definitely not candy (I definitely don’t recommend eating it plain). The batter will taste fairly bitter due to the chocolate, but mellows and sweetens after baking. Dusting some icing sugar on top can add some sweetness if desired
Yields: 12 muffins
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (40g) unsweetened bakers chocolate, finely chopped (or vegan chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
2. Combine the milk, oil, yogurt, vinegar, chocolate, cocoa, sugar, coffee, and salt together in a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together in a medium bowl. While stirring, add the dry ingredients into the wet, until evenly mixed.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin liners. Bake for 16-20 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack before serving. Top with sifted icing sugar for some extra sweetness.
Make it gluten-free: substitute rice flour for the all-purpose flour
Muffins keep for 3 days in an airtight container
Nutrition facts from: CRON-O-Meter
Unsweetened chocolate. (2016) Retrieved from: cooksillustrated.com