Here’s a fresh and creamy dressing for the summer, with a base of avocado. Enjoy over a salad or your favourite tacos or burrito.
Avocado is a plant-based fat that adds a richness to the dressing; avocados contain oleate, a fat that helps protect the body against inflammation and insulin resistance. 1 Make sure your avocados are ripe, to get the best flavour and easier blending.
Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar will not only add a tart flavour to the dressing, but will also help prevent the avocado from browning.
Yields: 2 1/2 cups dressing
- 1 1/4 cup chopped avocado (around 2 small avocados or 1 large)
- 3/4 cup water
- zest of 1 lemon (around 1 tbsp)
- juice of 1 lemon (around 2 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
1. Combine all ingredients in high-speed blender, add more water if needed to achieve desired texture.
2. Store in airtight jar or bottle in fridge, enjoy with your favourite salads, wraps, etc.
Dressing will keep for approx. 1 week in fridge in airtight container.
Serving size used for nutrition facts is 2 tbsp (1 oz.)
Salvado L., et al. Oleate prevents saturated-fatty-acid-induced ER stress, inflammation, and insulin resistance in skeletal muscle cells through AMPK-dependent mechanism. Diabetologia, 56(6):1372-82. June 2013. Retrieved from: NCBI
Nutrition facts from: CRON-O-Meter